Quest for the Shifter's Soul ((RP!))

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Quest for the Shifter's Soul ((RP!))

Post  UU on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:09 am

((Alright guys, here's some ground rules first, okay?

1) My word is Law. This means I have the right to kick you out, the right to warn you, and the right to overrule things. Any retcons and whatnot all come from Me.
2) Literate please! This is not Formspring so I want your posts nice and thick! This also means sticking to proper writing format. So for get those action stars and start using quotation marks!
3) Play nice! This means no character-bashing, no godmoding and for the love of GPI try to write a post that people can actually reply to! (though that last one is more a stylistic RP thing..)
4) Please write out a short character summary or list in your first post. It doesn't need to give away any spoilers, It's just something I'm going to copy-past to the first post here for reference.
5) If you read these rules, please Nak in the first post.
6) Have fun! Fun is the reason we're all here, so don't get your Panties in a knot! ((I hear Pantheon is /very/ flexible though!))

Creative rules! These apply to the world we'll be RPing in!

Most important is Maaaagic! Nothing is made without give and pull! For example, Fire magic is also Ice magic! You draw the heat to one point to make something combust, but everything else around it will get colder! Maybe not a lot if you take it from a wide space, but with focus you can wield both at once!

The main magics are:
Fire/Ice
Electricity/magnetics (charges)
Earth (soil and stone only, not plants!)
Wind (movement of gasses)
Water (movement of fluids)
Light/dark (good for blinding, hiding in the dark, and projecting images onto surfaces. Sometimes used for /very/ low-quality illusions))

There are a few others, but they are rare and powerful. You won't be dealing with them with your characters. The most well known Powerful Magics are: Dream (Everything from Nothing) and Void (Nothing from Everything)

There are also occasional small curses and the like, but they're considered something outside of the natural magics. Man-made. Anyone can make a curse if they have the right ingredients and know-how. The Magics are an affinity.

The setting is roughly medieval. Think of your general generic fantasy setting and yeah, thats it. Horses instead of cars. The occasional crazy weirdo ranting about the wonders of steam power, etc. Technology will be very limited. All kinds of fantasy species are allowed. So go wild!

Alright Thanks for bearing with me! Time to begin!))

Alright everybody. Time to begin. Got your character sheets ready? Good. Now I'm going to be the DM, so that means I'm going to be setting the scenes and playing a number of characters here and there.

The adventure begins in the town of Arden, a fair-sized trading town. Rumours have been flying of a legendary item; The Shifter's Soul, and everyone is coming to Ardin to seek it. The tales say that the Shifter's Soul is a item that grants the holder the ability to shape-shift, but at the price of madness. Exactly what kind of item it is changes in the telling. Sometimes it is a pendant, sometimes a weapon, or a coin. Perhaps it shape-shifts along with the bearer. Nobody knows.

But everybody does know that there is a beast in the ancient Arden Woods, and the beast can change form. And everybody especially knows that the Shifter's Soul, besides bestowing a great power, is also worth a large amount of coin. Merchants across the world would fight to get a hold of it. Kingdoms would go to war. There are as many reasons as there are adventurers, crowding the Inns of Arden.

Last edited by Dmab on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:12 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixed some town name descrepancies; spelling errors)
UU
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Quest for the Shifter's Soul ((RP!))

Post  aceDiamond on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:22 am

If I might hazard a guess, is the Shifter's Soul some kind of Dream Magic relic?
aceDiamond

View user profile http://www.formspring.me/aceDiamond

Back to top Go down

Post  UU on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:25 am

aceDiamond wrote:If I might hazard a guess, is the Shifter's Soul some kind of Dream Magic relic?
((ah, I forgot a rule. OOC must be in brackets! The bit talking about DM and character sheets was just me being a silly and adding some fourth/fifth? wallish shenanigans.

And You'll have to find out for yourself!

Shoot! I also forgot light and dark magic! I'll edit it into the firstpost.))
UU
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  M0Smun on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:32 am

((Huh. My 6000 posts of prose Roleplaying on Gaia didn't go to waste after all. Call me interested.))
M0Smun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UU on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:37 am

M0Smun wrote:((Huh. My 6000 posts of prose Roleplaying on Gaia didn't go to waste after all. Call me interested.))
((Ah yes, I was a Gaia RPer too. Well feel free to toss up an intro whenever you feel like it))
UU
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GovernorMuffin on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:54 am

((Nak))

William Ericsson sat at the bar, nursing a mug of fine ale. A rather short man, at five foot five inches, tan skin and short white hair. A long sword hung from his hip, in a cobalt scabbard. He wore a shirt of scale mail, shining bright, as William had recently cleaned it, and a pair of leather pants. He'd never seen an inn so full of people, each hardier looking than the last. It wasn't hard to guess what they were here for, as William had asked one or two of the men and women that crowded the room, and each answered the same. It was the same answer he'd given a few times as well: to find the Shifter's Soul. Now it was just time to wait for a suitable companion for the quest.
GovernorMuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UU on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:34 am

((thought I'd wait for a few more people to post before I started posting my characters. But then I remembered that I'm impatient. :p)) ((I'll probably draw up a picture of this oddball soon))

A small dragon sat behind the bar, chuckling at the crowd.

Now small was a relative term, for this beast was thicker than a man, and several times as long. A wingless variety, with a soft mane of silver fur and a scaly belly of deep blue, it sat with it's chest on the countertop, short legs crossed infront of itself and sported a wider grin than any humanoid could. "Come on, drink up, drink up. Not much good your coin will do you out in the woods!" It laughingly barked, drawing the ale right from the cask with magic and filling the mugs of those who asked.

"I tell you, with the amount of you fine folks who've passed through here, I could comb the woods and have a pretty little pile of coin for myself. So there's no need to keep it for now! Get yourself a drink while you have the chance, and come back once you've found more, that's what I've always said!" When the dragon laughed, it set a rings and charms to clinking, for they were all braided through the mane or tied to the long horns. Feathers and beads, silver hoops and coloured strings. There was even a metal band the size of a bracelet peirced through an ear, that made it flop comically while the other flicked and twisted to listen to whoever was speaking.

Although from time to time dragons would work with humans, it was rare to see one in a situation like this, working /for/ humans, and behind a counter like this one was. If the tavernkeeper was questioned, the answer was simply 'people come in to take a look, an' they won't cause trouble with 'im keeping an eye on the place. Got no reason to complain'
UU
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmab on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:05 am

((Harduin, where have I heard that name before?))
Dmab
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://oascar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  UU on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:08 am

Dmab wrote:((Harduin, where have I heard that name before?))
((Ah, I derped, I knew I heard it somewhere, but I was jsut all 'derp derp, sounds like a cool kinda name for a place.' I can change it if you want))
UU
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  M0Smun on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:46 am

The door to the inn creaked open, a long, gaunt figure standing in the frame. His face was hidden, doused in shadow by a long, black, heavily aged cloak that hung behind his back, its hem lapping at his ankles. The man had an unsettling aura about him, the air around his form seeming to chill in his presence.

He stood there for a moment, giving the room of people a long stare before seemingly making a decision. He took a step inside, allowing the door to close behind him with a reluctant creak. Walking to the bar, he emitted almost no noise, the only audible sounds being a couple of tiny clinks, their sources unknown, either hidden by his cloak or stowed away in the leather pouch fastened securely to his belt.

His footfalls themselves were nothing if not silent, leather belted boots meeting the ground and making nigh but a shy creak on the floorboards. His leggings, form-fitting leather chaps, dyed black to match his cloth short-sleeved shirt, covered by a dark leather cuirass. The only visible weapon on his person was a small, straight dagger in a sheath strapped to his right boot.

He took a seat at the bar, setting his gloved hands on the counter and not muttering a word outside one quiet grumble.

"Ale."

((Did M0Smun make a male character?

Holy shit, dude))
M0Smun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ApplauseJunkie on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:46 pm

In one of the back tables were two figures wearing matching brown hoods. They were sitting on either side of the small table, the larger of them clutching a mug, the smaller with a glass of milk. The larger's head was bent closely over the table, but the smaller head was erect and swiveling constantly, as if trying to see the entire tavern at once. As the hood turned, those it faced could see that under the hood was a youthful, feminine face with eyes as wide as saucers, an excited and fascinated smile on her face. She looked perhaps eight years old, far too young to be partaking in any adventure like the one the others in the tavern had assembled to attempt.
"This is so exciting, Angel!" she chirped.
"Hush," said the larger figure without looking up. "Keep your head down."
"But there are so many interesting people here! And a dragon! Have you ever seen a dragon tend a bar before? Have you?"
"Lydia, keep your head down!" Angel barked.
Lydia obeyed this time, dropping her head to Angel's level and clutching her milk just as Angel clutched the mug. Angel sighed. Lydia sighed. Angel glared at her from under the brim of the hood. Lydia glared back.
"Stop," Angel said.
"Stop."
"Lydia..."
"Lydia..."
"We don't have time for this."
"We don't have time for this."
Angel gave up and dropped face-first onto the table, groaning. Lydia mimicked.
ApplauseJunkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UU on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:09 pm

((mosmun. With that grumpy replay, and that profile picture, I can't help but imagine your character is Woody now. Hahaha)) ((Yaay! Applause Junkie! So good to rp with you again! Very Happy ))

"One ale coming up!" With a practiced flick of the tail a large mug was placed before the shadowy figure, and soon filled by a floating orb of dark brown liquid.

Now, it wasn't as if the large beast behind the counter was intimidated by this cloaked man. Years of them passing in and out of the doors of the pub made them a familiar sight. And besides, humans were just so /small!/ But still, the dragon curled his tail a little closer to himself, 'to keep away the chill'

"New face aren't you? Well well now" The least talkative ones were usually the ones with the most interesting tales. Or the ones who were more likely to add a few extra coins for a tale themselves. He took a moment, thinking to a small stash of coins he'd earned, a young dragon's hoard, and wondered how many would be added tonight.

"Well, stranger, I'm-" Here he made a draconic sound that would be entirely unpronouncable by a human voice, best described as a hissing gurgle. He winked conspiratorially, "Means Deepstream, but everyone knows of me as Dee."

((for those who didn't see it, say Hi to Dee: http://i.imgur.com/zf1xd.jpg ))

Last edited by UU on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Image)
UU
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ApplauseJunkie on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:35 pm

((He's so cute! Very Happy ))
ApplauseJunkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GovernorMuffin on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:08 pm

William watched the dragon, or Dee now, out of the corner of his golden eyes. He'd only seen one or two dragons in his lifetime, and none of them were this jovial. Because of this, he wasn't sure whether or not to accept this dragon now tending the bar. Sure, the dragons he met were polite as this one was, but they had tricked William out of a large sum of gold. Maybe he got a few bad eggs?

He paused in his thinking, and then groaned at himself for making that horrible pun. Somehow, no matter what he did, he managed to inadvertently create a pun. It was annoying to no end, but he couldn't escape it. Maybe it was that witch doctor that cursed him back then? Eh.

"So, Dee, is it? If you don't might me asking, what brought you to bartend here? Isn't it... a little degrading for one like you?"
GovernorMuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UU on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:18 pm

((Junkie, your little girl character is ten times as adorable as Dee))

"Hm?" His ear flicked up and over to the speaker before turning to face him, "Isn't it degrading to give gold to a dragon instead of stealing it? No I don't mind. This way if anyone touches my treasure I can call them a thief and have you humans deal with the matter instead. Who cares if a dragon's nest gets raided? But if a worker gets robbed, well, call the guards!" He grinned toothily. "My tastes run more for fish than Canned Human" An old dragon joke about knights.
UU
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erikisadumbswede on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:31 pm

''Lotta damn people 'round here nowadays'', Quatro muttered to himself, scratching the back of his head. He was sitting alone in the back of the inn, drinking a bit of the hot stuff, watching over the rest of the building. A lot of people, all probably after that Soul-thing. Stupid treasure, the town was probably calm when nobody knew about the legend. But the most startling thing about those adventurers was the fact....

...that they all wore such heroic and expensive-looking clothing and armor! Quatro didnt know what it felt like to wear them. All he had was his precious hat and his dirty black coat, made from the skin of...what was it again? Fox? Wolf? Skunk? Eh, it didn't matter. It was a dirty piece of crap, anyway. Quatro muttered something, and went back to his mug. He tried to sleep, tired from this day of walking around aimlessly, searching for gold coins, but he couldn't join the dreamland. Something was bothering him.

''That damn dragon...'', he muttered to himself yet again. What was it even doing here, anyway? Dragons are all mighty creatures, they never worked for humans! But even so, this one just stood there, grinning like a fool and giving ale to everyone who asked for it. Dammit, it's impossible to get any sleep here.

He looked down in his mug, and to his despair, Quatro noticed that the drink was almost done. Dammit, he needs to order a new one. He decided to try and get the dragons attention.

''HEY! Dragon, a customer here needs some damn service!'', he yelled out.
Erikisadumbswede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  frozenLake on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:52 pm

(( Oliver will learn electric magic, as I seem to know its limits, and it appears to be one of the most versatile. ))
Oliver Reaver sat at the table, with his long golden hair and deep green eyes. He was rather short, but that could be explained for the fact that his rate of aging slowed down drastically when an incident occurred when he was 9. He placed down his now empty glass of chocolate drink, and looked for the dragon, when suddenly his thoughts were interrupted by Quatro yelling across the room.

"God damn drunk..." he muttered under his breath.

frozenLake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  M0Smun on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:56 pm

The stranger simply raised his drink slightly to acknowledge the dragon's greeting, and took a sip. Only then did light slip underneath his hood, allowing an observer to see his face. He had a chiseled visage, most of his chin covered with dark whiskers that flecked with gray.
The most notable thing about him was his eye. He had a long, pink scar that dragged its way from his forehead, past his left eye, down his cheek and nearly meeting the corner of his mouth. The eye itself was hollow, gray, and sightless.

He eyed the dragon with obvious suspicion, before grumbling out his name in the same, blunt tone he'd made his order.

"Brine."

It wasn't his real name. His actual name had been lost to many long ago, at this point almost to him as well. He took another drink, seemingly lost in thought.
M0Smun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ApplauseJunkie on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Angel had stopped moving, and Lydia soon tired of mimicking of laying with her face on the table, and was up looking around again. Huge dark green eyes scanned the tavern again, watching with delight every time Dee filled someone's glass. She giggled, watching closely. It wasn't that she had never seen water magic before, but it still fascinated her more than the other magics. Suddenly, as if struck by a marvelous idea, Lydia drank down all of her milk as fast as she could.
"Dee?" she called, a little timidly (but still too excited not to ask), "May I have some more milk, please?"
From the table, Angel groaned. "No more than two glasses, Lydia. We're not paying for you to watch the bartender perform his magics."
ApplauseJunkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UU on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:53 pm

"Brine! Good name!" To be honest, though, any name associated with water would have gotten the dragon's approval, even if it was Seaweed or Marsh or something similar.

A rude drunk in the back of the bar demanded Dee's attention. "You'll get your drink when I see some coin! Hmph." Turning his attention to the other clients he grinned down at the small child. "Nobody else here is drinking milk, I'd hate to see it spoil." A small ball of cold milk circled around the dragon's neck, then rested on his nose. He waggled his long neck from side to side, as if balancing the liquid.

He was cut off by a small child bursting into the pub, ragged like an urchin and huffing and puffing as if he'd run a long way. The distraction caused him to lose his grip on the magic, and the milk splashed over his snout, making him huff and puff in annoyance.

"It's been spotted!" Instantly half the bar was on it's feet, prying the child with coin and drink, trying to get him to tell of what he witnessed.

Dee snorted in annoyance and slid, almost slithered, over the counter and used his bulk to shove the men aside. "You brat! Come in here and swindle my clients every night and send them on a goose chase when they could be warm and drinking! Get out!" He snapped at the boy's feet, sending him scurrying away from the angry beast.

"No! Honest!"

"Get out!" The dragon hissed.

"But it's here!" There was only a small moment of silence, before there was a horrendous crash of toppling timber. Screams and shouts, oh god, the place was collapsing! Something large had hit the building and the supports were giving way.

"EVERYBODY OUT." Dee bellowed, grabbing the nearest person in his jaws, the urchin, and dissappearing out the doorway.
UU
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ApplauseJunkie on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Lydia squealed in delight at Dee's antics with the ball of milk. Her huge smile revealed a set of sharp, gleaming white teeth with pointed canines. She clapped tiny hands, bouncing in her seat. When it splashed over his nose, the child giggled, covering her mouth.

The child's words had Angel out of the chair in seconds, hovering slightly behind the crowd to see how much information the boy told others before bothering to spend any money trying to get him to talk. When Dee objected, however, the hooded figure took a few steps back, but didn't go back to the table just yet. This hesitance may have been a mistake, because as soon as the building started to collapse, Angel was forced to run against the mass of evacuating people to reach Lydia, who was in danger of being swept up in the crowd.

Angel made it to Lydia and scooped her up, running headlong to the door. They were some of the last out of the building, and in their rush Angel's hood fell backward, revealing a ponytail of straight blond hair and pointed ears framing masculine features and eyes the same color as Lydia's. He pulled the hood back on as soon as he set Lydia down, glancing about to see if anyone had noticed.
ApplauseJunkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GovernorMuffin on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:15 pm

William chuckled. Might as well try to start off on the right foot with this dragon. But which one is the right? It's harder to guess when they have four.

He hit his head on the counter. "Stop that! Ow." Rubbing his forehead, he nodded to Dee. "The name's William. Interesting use of your majyyks, I've only seen them used for destructive purpose. Well, other than myself. I manipulate e--"

He was cut off by the child running into the bar. He didn't really know what "it" was, but he had a good idea. By Dee's reaction to the child, however, he guessed seeing "it" was a regular occurrence, and the urchin was simply crying wolf. The whole building shaking a minute later changed William's mind, however, who didn't even wait for Dee to tell everyone to evacuate. The very second the building shook, he was on his feet and dashing for the door, leaving a few gold on the counter.

Not that it would matter, but it pays to be courteous.

It PAYS. God damn it.

((I swear to God I'm not even trying for these they just keep happening. I think I'm as cursed as William.))
GovernorMuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  M0Smun on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Brine, upon seeing the small child burst in, finished his drink speedily, gulping the rest of his ale in a few seconds before slamming the mug on the counter, along with a couple of gold coins that had silently appeared there.
If "it" was what Brine thought it was, it would pay to be prepared. Brine stood as the crowd converged on the boy, walking around the shouting people and moving closer to the door. He was about to leave when the massive crash hit the inn, and when that happened he was out the door in an instant. Brine immediately checked the roof for what had impacted, his mind racing as fast as his heart.
M0Smun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UU on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Outside was chaos. Townfolk fleeing from the monster, and adventurers heading towards, and for some inexplicable reason a large number of cows were charging this way and that. Dee was barely out the door when they threatened to trample him. He hissed around his mouthful of streetchild, provoking the frightened beasts into a confused stampede.

Overhead the building creaked and grumbled as something large.... Sat on it. It was bulky, with thick, short limbs, like an overweight bear, but furless. It was leaning on the building with it's head stuck through the roof of the inn next door, and there was a terrible crunching sound and screaming coming from within.

It's claws were as long as a man, and as thick as Dee himself.

The dragon hissed in alarm, and put the urchin child down, urging him to be out of here with a nip.

UU
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GovernorMuffin on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:20 pm

William dashed out the door, jostled by pretty much everyone else, trying to get up to Dee. He backpedaled the last few feet, looking up in amazement at the beast on the roof. His eyes were wide as saucers, he'd never seen a beast like this, not once in his travels. He wasn't exactly sure what to make of this... thing? He was speechless for a few seconds, but only for a few. He directed his question to Dee.

"Holy hell, what is that thing?!"
GovernorMuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top